Skip to main content

Week Thirteen Reading Part A: More Jataka's

 


For this reading of COURSE I wanted to do more of the Jataka's. They have been my favorite stories by far because they are the most easily digestible. The story I chose is The Penny Wise Monkey naturally because of the name. I really caught my interest so I had to know what the story was about. I have already selected my stories for my storybook project but if I need another story to fall back on I would love to use some of the money jatakas because they are so sweet and easy to recreate into something of my own. All of Babbit's Jataka's tell a very powerful story in a very short language. They are easy for young children to learn lessons from, as well as being very simple to put a twist on. I am definitely going to continue to explore the Jataka's further for the rest of my "free reading" because they are the most relevant to my storybook, as well as where my interests lay within the class. That said, I love the fable-esque stories from India and how they are so universal. 

Image information: Babbitt's Jataka's

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Women's Wrestling Coach and Future Teacher

  Introduction to a Women's Wrestling Coach and Future Teacher     Hey everyone! My name is Mikayla Chandler. I am a secondary language arts education major going into my senior year here at OU. In addition to being a full-time student, I am also in my first year of coaching wrestling. Although I am a coach on a team of boys and girls, I primarily focus on my attention on the ladies on the team. Although I chose to not wrestling in college, I spent the majority of my life around wrestling and was competitive from ages 10 to 18. I was born and raised here in Norman, so it has always been a dream of mine to obtain a degree from OU. I have one dog but would certainly love to get more. Her name is Verona and she is a Lab/Pitbull mix that showed up one day and never left. One of my major interests is in American Sign Language; I took two years in college and I wish I could afford to take more classes. I love knowing another language, it makes me feel more connected to the world. I just

Comment Wall

  Here is a link to my website:  The Animals of Indian Mythology Image Information:  Madhubani Painting

Week Four Story: The Bridge

      The bridge between the Mainland and Lanka is a magical sight. This is Rama's bridge. Although it has been thousands of years since the creation of the bridge connecting the two regions, the bridge is still used by many. People say it used to connect what is now Sri Lanka and India, the gorgeous limestone meets the rock and the earth so wonderfully. It is mostly a tourist spot now, but peoples say that the rocky islands were constructed by Nala, son of  Vishwakarman , the "divine artisan," in order to allow enemies to cross the ocean. This was allegedly demanded by the God of Ocean to keep things fair and reasonable. This small series of islands that create a land bridge between the two countries serves a special purpose in my life, however. I grew up along this land bridge, and I know more secrets of the bridge than many. I know what wars have been fought and won because of this bridge. I know of what Rama and Sita faced during the creation of this bridge, and the p