Skip to main content

Week Four Story: The Bridge

 


    The bridge between the Mainland and Lanka is a magical sight. This is Rama's bridge. Although it has been thousands of years since the creation of the bridge connecting the two regions, the bridge is still used by many. People say it used to connect what is now Sri Lanka and India, the gorgeous limestone meets the rock and the earth so wonderfully. It is mostly a tourist spot now, but peoples say that the rocky islands were constructed by Nala, son of Vishwakarman, the "divine artisan," in order to allow enemies to cross the ocean. This was allegedly demanded by the God of Ocean to keep things fair and reasonable. This small series of islands that create a land bridge between the two countries serves a special purpose in my life, however. I grew up along this land bridge, and I know more secrets of the bridge than many. I know what wars have been fought and won because of this bridge. I know of what Rama and Sita faced during the creation of this bridge, and the punishments they may have faced if not for this bridge becoming a part of our lives. Although most people have forgotten the lore by now, and no one believes it to be fact, I know what spirits inhabit this area, and I know what power this area holds. Although I am just one person who was raised around here, I seek to get people back into this region. It was once a very popular and prominent place to live, long before my time. My mission now is to make people understand the magic this place holds. I want the legend to live on. Just like what grandma had intended.

Image information: Surya surrounded by the signs of the Zodiac, circa 1830 -(San Diego Museum of Art)

Authors Note: This story is loosely based on the Ramayana story The Bridge. I wanted to incorporate the actual legitimate history of this bridge, combined with the perspective of a young person from a time period (probably near future) to help the reader understand the cultural significance of the bridge. I also wanted an element of someone trying to keep the true legends alive, someone who cares deeply for the Ramayana story and who believes it to be the reality of history. I think if I could expand on this story I would definitely add a backstory and make sure that there was more dialogue, otherwise, I think that this could be pretty cool story when I expand on it soon!

Comments

  1. Hey, Mikayla!

    I enjoyed reading your story! The part that engaged me in the story the most was the way in which you were able to incorporate these myths into a modern context. Sometimes we get all caught up in the hustle and bustle of modern day life that we neglect to think about the non-physical (in this case, spiritual) side of things. One thing that I wondered throughout your story: does our narrator have a distinct character identity? The narrator mentions their grandmother and we can infer that they were likely born and raised in this area, but I was just curious if you had other points in mind. What if there was backstory? I know that you touched on this in your note, and I totally agree! I think that that would be the best way to worldbuild within your story! You would be able to really flesh out the characters this way.

    Cheers,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mikayla, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your story from the perspective of someone who really cares about the bridge from the Ramayana story. This perspective allows the reader to shift their focus away from the main characters of the story and learn more about an integral yet under appreciated aspect of the story! You made it seem as if the bridge was a sentient being who had seen so much over the course of its life! What id instead of a young person the story was told by an old, wise person who had grown up near the bridge and also seen all that had occurred on it? This might resonate more with the readers because it would continue this theme of aging and wisdom you have presented! Overall I think you did a great job and I am looking forward to reading more of your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mikayla, I definitely enjoyed your story on the bridge, as it is something that was important in the Ramayana but did not gather as much attention as i wish it had. My favorite part of the story was how you were able to, in a way, personify the bridge and give it life, rather than just treating it as a physical structure. It really changed my perspective on storytelling and how I can incorporate something like this in the future in my very own story. I think a cool thing to do would be talk about everything from a first person perspective of the bridge, talking about the people that have walked on you and what history has taken place on you. Just a thought. Maybe even include a part about how you have changed in shape from all the wear and tear you have experienced over the years. Overall I loved the story! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mikayla,

    I really like how the story is direct. It really makes me imagine how someone may get the urge to try to preserve their history and to help their people retain their history. I wonder what the time period this is supposed to be set in and how many people remain in that area as the story makes it sound like the population there has dwindled significantly. Is the person the last one currently there? Also, do they just know of the magic and wonders there, or do they have a special connection to it all? I like the mention of the grandma at the end and it makes me imagine that she played a significant role in the history of that area, but perhaps that is my imagination getting the better of me. Overall, I think this is a good story that I could definitely see becoming a reality at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mikayla,
    I love how informative this story is. You wrote something very educational yet interesting and readable. That's not always easy. I wonder if this character has any childhood tales about this bridge? Is there one special story or memory this character might have? What if you divided the story into paragraphs, and maybe included one about a fictional memory from this person's point of view. It would also be great to see some pictures of the bridge, though I am not sure how easy those are to find.
    Great work, it was a good read. Keep it up! Good luck with the semester.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Women's Wrestling Coach and Future Teacher

  Introduction to a Women's Wrestling Coach and Future Teacher     Hey everyone! My name is Mikayla Chandler. I am a secondary language arts education major going into my senior year here at OU. In addition to being a full-time student, I am also in my first year of coaching wrestling. Although I am a coach on a team of boys and girls, I primarily focus on my attention on the ladies on the team. Although I chose to not wrestling in college, I spent the majority of my life around wrestling and was competitive from ages 10 to 18. I was born and raised here in Norman, so it has always been a dream of mine to obtain a degree from OU. I have one dog but would certainly love to get more. Her name is Verona and she is a Lab/Pitbull mix that showed up one day and never left. One of my major interests is in American Sign Language; I took two years in college and I wish I could afford to take more classes. I love knowing another language, it makes me feel more connected to the world. I just

Comment Wall

  Here is a link to my website:  The Animals of Indian Mythology Image Information:  Madhubani Painting