Skip to main content

Week 7 Story: Generosity Killed the Cat

 


Grandpa Kartik was a giver. He never was seen with materialistic items, he only had what he needed and gave the rest away. In a journal entry I read while going through his thins to donate, he wrote:

"April 24th, 1902: My whole life I have been told that I need to give more than I have. That I should not have excess. Even if that same principle has not been supplied to me on behalf of others, I have made sure that I am not living with more than I need or more than I can consume. There have been times I have been run dry, unfortunately. Gone to the point of starvation to help another in need, because I know that karma will take care of me in the long run. I give the rest of what I hav-"

And then it ends. There are no more journal entries after this, and the remainder of this one is smudged in what looks like coffee, or maybe tea. Either way, the ink has washed away the last thing that my grandfather wrote. It feels so easy for something too simple to wash away an entire memory. 

This sentiment is all that I have to live with as I never really knew my grandfather. He had passed away long before I was born, so all I have are journal entries and old renderings. That is, until I met Pabu. Something deep within me knows that Pabu has to be an incarnation of my grandfather. I do not know how, but I have spent long hours meditating on it. I feel so interconnected to him, and although this silly mongoose cannot speak for himself, we have a strong bond like no human and critter should reasonably have. Pabu came to me as a baby, and I imagined he was abandoned by his mother, so I nursed him to health when I did not even have the food to feed myself. I was living on the streets of some rural village that I was dumped in when he crawled up next to me in the alley. I figured he was seeking some food, maybe warmth. These critters usually are aggressive and have no need to bother humans. But Pabu just wanted company. I scooped up his frail long body and just took him wherever I went. Ironically, I began to get more handouts when I had him with me. People were more inclined to throw me a coin or a stale piece of bread when I had him. Of course, I was responsible for this little guy now. There were times where I wasn't sure if he would make it or not without some food, when I knew I was strong enough to survive. I was willing to give Pabu my rations when I truly needed it. Of course, there is no way I could admit that I was giving my food to a silly rat while I was starving, people would never let me hear the end of it. But I had to do whatever I possibly could to keep my grandfather alive. I knew I had to.

Authors Note:

I was inspired to write this story after listening to Yudhishthira and the Mongoose being narrated by Laura. I have been searching for more depictions of animals to be used in my storybook and I really feel like this is the perfect one to incorporate. I sat at work during a slow point just wondering what to write about, and I wanted to write a tale of generosity. One of my regulars at the coffee shop I work at does not have a job and takes seasonal jobs as he finds them, but always makes sure to leave a tip. I know that he does not have much to give, but he always leaves what he can, and leaves with a big smile. I hope you enjoyed this story and I hope it inspires you to give a little more this week, and to make sure everyone (including yourself) is taken care of!

Image information: The Smithsonian: Mongoose image by Shannon Benson

Story Source: Yudhishthira and the Mongoose

Comments

  1. Hi Mikayla! I really liked this story! I wasn't certain where the inspiration was taken from at first, but your author's note did a good job of explaining further. I think basing this story off of something you've experienced in real life is really cool, and that is so generous of the regular to continue leaving tips, despite their own situation. This was such a sweet story, and inspired me a little bit, just as you said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mikayla,
    I really enjoyed reading your story, it has a very sweet and heartwarming sentiment with it. I think it would be really interesting if you expanded on this story and went into depth on how the character's grandfather and Pabu are connected. More background information about their past could make your story richer. I also liked the part in your author's note about your regular customer, it's good to see the genuine kindness from people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mikayla,
    at first I didn't know if you were righting this about your grandfather or a story because it was that emotional and personal. I think you did a great job with the journal entry part and that provided a very surreal aspect to the story. I love that you are using animals, I think they are the best protagonists for any story. Keep up the good work I will definitely be coming to check out your stories.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Women's Wrestling Coach and Future Teacher

  Introduction to a Women's Wrestling Coach and Future Teacher     Hey everyone! My name is Mikayla Chandler. I am a secondary language arts education major going into my senior year here at OU. In addition to being a full-time student, I am also in my first year of coaching wrestling. Although I am a coach on a team of boys and girls, I primarily focus on my attention on the ladies on the team. Although I chose to not wrestling in college, I spent the majority of my life around wrestling and was competitive from ages 10 to 18. I was born and raised here in Norman, so it has always been a dream of mine to obtain a degree from OU. I have one dog but would certainly love to get more. Her name is Verona and she is a Lab/Pitbull mix that showed up one day and never left. One of my major interests is in American Sign Language; I took two years in college and I wish I could afford to take more classes. I love knowing another language, it makes me feel more connected to the world. I just

Comment Wall

  Here is a link to my website:  The Animals of Indian Mythology Image Information:  Madhubani Painting

Week Four Story: The Bridge

      The bridge between the Mainland and Lanka is a magical sight. This is Rama's bridge. Although it has been thousands of years since the creation of the bridge connecting the two regions, the bridge is still used by many. People say it used to connect what is now Sri Lanka and India, the gorgeous limestone meets the rock and the earth so wonderfully. It is mostly a tourist spot now, but peoples say that the rocky islands were constructed by Nala, son of  Vishwakarman , the "divine artisan," in order to allow enemies to cross the ocean. This was allegedly demanded by the God of Ocean to keep things fair and reasonable. This small series of islands that create a land bridge between the two countries serves a special purpose in my life, however. I grew up along this land bridge, and I know more secrets of the bridge than many. I know what wars have been fought and won because of this bridge. I know of what Rama and Sita faced during the creation of this bridge, and the p