Skip to main content

Week 2 Story: The Sky Is Falling

 

    "Huh, so it is really happening." I sighed as I looked up at the sky. "The sky is actually falling". 

We knew that this day would come. Global warming has been an issue since the early 1990s, and well, we are way passed the point of return nearly 200 years later. We have heard jokes and tales of people mistaking falling objects for the sky falling, but it appears that our attempt at rebuilding the ozone has finally collapsed in on itself. I guess we knew it would happen, that the bubble would burst, but no one knew it would be this soon. I stand and watch on the muggy street corner of my childhood home as thin slices of some sort of engineered plastic fall from the sky. The sun shines through the holes in the bubble that appear small to the eye but must be half a mile wide. The rays are bright, almost as if they're being amplified. I squint as I look up to the sky. The UV stings, my skin feels like it could burn under the heat. In school, we read stories of how the past generations before the bubble lived. If they wanted to go outside then they had to be fully covered from head to toe with layers of SPF underneath. It is a scary thought. This could have been avoided, but now I stand gathered with a small group of strangers under the falling sky. No one says a word. 

It feels weird. We know that this is not the end. The scientists work so hard to keep us protected, but this moment feels numb. There is nothing that we can do know. We do our best, plastic packaging is banned, combustion engines are a thing of the past. No matter what, the sky is still falling. There is nothing we can do except to sit. And wait. 

Authors Note:

So, I was not really sure what to write for this story. I felt sort of inspired by the "what if?" of the sky actually falling. What would cause the sky to actually fall one day? I could not think of what would cause the actual sky to fall, so imagined a Stephen King style "bubble" around the countries that suffer from the harshest UV rays, but I think that one day that bubble would burst. No solution can last forever, right? This story, if extended, would take place in a near-future dystopia where things are entirely different from the world as we know it. I think I would have a lot of fun turning this into a short story that explores the fixes and complications that come with trying to save the sky from falling. 

Image information: "What do you do when the sky is falling?" by Neil. Moralee is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0

The Foolish, Timid Rabbit By Ellen C. Babbitt

Comments

  1. Hi Mikayla! I really enjoyed reading your story. It was not what I was expecting at all when I read that it was about The Foolish, Timid Rabbit. One question I had was what you meant by a Stephen King bubble? I have not read any of his works so I did not quite get this reference. Overall, the story was a fun read and I your take on The Foolish, Timid Rabbit was definitely unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mikayla,
    Wow this is a really interesting story! I love that you took the phrase "The sky is falling" and ran with it to produce something completely new. Your story resonated with me because I've always found the idea of global warming really scary, so it isn't difficult for me to imagine something like this actually happening in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Women's Wrestling Coach and Future Teacher

  Introduction to a Women's Wrestling Coach and Future Teacher     Hey everyone! My name is Mikayla Chandler. I am a secondary language arts education major going into my senior year here at OU. In addition to being a full-time student, I am also in my first year of coaching wrestling. Although I am a coach on a team of boys and girls, I primarily focus on my attention on the ladies on the team. Although I chose to not wrestling in college, I spent the majority of my life around wrestling and was competitive from ages 10 to 18. I was born and raised here in Norman, so it has always been a dream of mine to obtain a degree from OU. I have one dog but would certainly love to get more. Her name is Verona and she is a Lab/Pitbull mix that showed up one day and never left. One of my major interests is in American Sign Language; I took two years in college and I wish I could afford to take more classes. I love knowing another language, it makes me feel more connected to the world. I just

Comment Wall

  Here is a link to my website:  The Animals of Indian Mythology Image Information:  Madhubani Painting

Week Four Story: The Bridge

      The bridge between the Mainland and Lanka is a magical sight. This is Rama's bridge. Although it has been thousands of years since the creation of the bridge connecting the two regions, the bridge is still used by many. People say it used to connect what is now Sri Lanka and India, the gorgeous limestone meets the rock and the earth so wonderfully. It is mostly a tourist spot now, but peoples say that the rocky islands were constructed by Nala, son of  Vishwakarman , the "divine artisan," in order to allow enemies to cross the ocean. This was allegedly demanded by the God of Ocean to keep things fair and reasonable. This small series of islands that create a land bridge between the two countries serves a special purpose in my life, however. I grew up along this land bridge, and I know more secrets of the bridge than many. I know what wars have been fought and won because of this bridge. I know of what Rama and Sita faced during the creation of this bridge, and the p