Skip to main content

Week Nine Story: The Alligator Is Not What You Think

 


    I used to be beautiful, I used to be one of the most gorgeous women around. Men would swoon for me and give into my education, they would turn their focus from mediation to me. Maybe that is my fatal flaw, but it is just how my girls and I were. That was all before the curse, however. Now I am damned to a life of swamp servitude. I feel misunderstood, I do not wish to harm anyone, but everyone assumes that my goal is to swallow them whole. 

My cure came to me in the form of prince Arjuna. I was cursed to 100 years of living as an alligator, which is no way to truly live. They deemed me a man-eating alligator, which, I guess is not unfair, it is just not very becoming. But when Prince Arjuna came near, and I heard his men's warnings, I knew it was my time to strike. The prince dove confidently into my waters, I had no time to waste. I meant him no harm, I did not bite on to attack, this is my only way out. 

I lunge as fast as possible up to his long legs and, as gentle as an alligator can bite onto his leg. I know I cannot let go, otherwise, he will leave and never return. As soon as I latch on, I cannot let go no matter the cost. I wish there was another way, I do not like scaring people like this, a girl is desperate though, you know?

I give him a good fight, but it seems that he is giving up and giving in.

"No!" I think to myself, "He cannot give up now! I need you to get me to shore, NOW!"

Something overcomes him, and although I do not know what, he gets a burst of inspiration, lets out a yell, and with all his might he kicks himself steadily to shore. Although it is not without a fight. He is going for blood, now.

"Stop!" I try to yell out, but I am sure it sounds like a loud grunt, I am a massive alligator, after all. "You are hurting me! I mean no harm! This is the only way!" I thrash around, trying to get myself loose from his grasp, knowing this is the only way to return to my natural state.

Prince Arjuna, with the remaining strength he had been granted, flung my body to the dry shore. 

"Yes!" 

My words transform from a low howling alligator into a woman.

I know the men hear me as my body changes into the woman I used to be. I cannot help but gleam with excitement, the curse has been lifted! I cannot help but laugh, that is the only reaction I know for the occasion. 

I go on to explain, "I used to be a lovely sea-nymph because I was cursed to roam the swamp as an alligator for a hundred years unless you could come to relieve me of my curse. I am sorry for the scare, but the only way to reverse my state was for you to drag me to shore"

The men look, frightened, but it seems like they have seen this before. 

And so that is where the story ends, at the end of the day everyone is fine. Everyone gets to go home to their loved ones, and I can begin seducing men once again. 

Authors Note:

So, like with most stories, I was not really sure how I wanted to write my story for this week. I was inspired by Arjuna and the Apsara's because it is such an odd curse. I wanted to write from the perspective of one of the Apsaras because they are such odd creatures. I also wanted to make sure that I would have a story to add to my storybook this week. I also wanted to make sure I was challenging myself with my writing, this week I tried my best to incorporate as much dialogue as possible in order to really test my abilities. I am not sure if it is done in the best way possible, but I would love to hear your feedback!

Story Source: Arjuna and the Apsaras

Image information: A statue of an Apsara holding a bird in her hands from Baitala Deula.


Comments

  1. Hey Mikayla!

    This story was great. The plot and the dialogue were written so well. I really like how you don't tell the audience how the curse is lifted until the end. The alligator isn't really attacking Arjuna, but seeking his aid. I actually really like the active verbs you chose throughout the story, it adds intensity to the story because Arjuna didn't know what was really going on. I'm glad he didn't just give up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mikayla,
    First off, really great story and I really like your blog theme. I think the use of dialogue in your story was great and you did a great job of incorporating in this story. I don't really remember the story of Arjuna and the Apsaras, but I think you did a great job of adapting this story. Telling from the perspective of the Apsaras was a very interesting twist, and due to how unique of creatures they were it was merited. One suggestion is you may add a caption for your image. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mikayla! I really enjoyed reading your story. The use of dialogue really pulled me into the story and made the characters feel a lot more real and lively. You also made super great changes to the original story and really clarified the plot in a way that was easier for me as a reader to understand. You did a great job of building suspense throughout your story and it was a really good idea as a writer to wait until the end of the story to lift the curse. Overall, really great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Women's Wrestling Coach and Future Teacher

  Introduction to a Women's Wrestling Coach and Future Teacher     Hey everyone! My name is Mikayla Chandler. I am a secondary language arts education major going into my senior year here at OU. In addition to being a full-time student, I am also in my first year of coaching wrestling. Although I am a coach on a team of boys and girls, I primarily focus on my attention on the ladies on the team. Although I chose to not wrestling in college, I spent the majority of my life around wrestling and was competitive from ages 10 to 18. I was born and raised here in Norman, so it has always been a dream of mine to obtain a degree from OU. I have one dog but would certainly love to get more. Her name is Verona and she is a Lab/Pitbull mix that showed up one day and never left. One of my major interests is in American Sign Language; I took two years in college and I wish I could afford to take more classes. I love knowing another language, it makes me feel more connected to the world. I just

Comment Wall

  Here is a link to my website:  The Animals of Indian Mythology Image Information:  Madhubani Painting

Week Four Story: The Bridge

      The bridge between the Mainland and Lanka is a magical sight. This is Rama's bridge. Although it has been thousands of years since the creation of the bridge connecting the two regions, the bridge is still used by many. People say it used to connect what is now Sri Lanka and India, the gorgeous limestone meets the rock and the earth so wonderfully. It is mostly a tourist spot now, but peoples say that the rocky islands were constructed by Nala, son of  Vishwakarman , the "divine artisan," in order to allow enemies to cross the ocean. This was allegedly demanded by the God of Ocean to keep things fair and reasonable. This small series of islands that create a land bridge between the two countries serves a special purpose in my life, however. I grew up along this land bridge, and I know more secrets of the bridge than many. I know what wars have been fought and won because of this bridge. I know of what Rama and Sita faced during the creation of this bridge, and the p